With San Diego Comic Con 2017 now just one month away, we thought we would take a closer look at the upcoming 6″ Black Series exclusive. This figure exclusive was announced back in April at during Hasbro’s Star Wars Celebration panel.
To hear the actual announcement from Celebration Orlando 2017, check out Episode 55 of TOY RUN below.
This figure will join fellow Star Wars Rebels characters Kanan Jarrus, Ahsoka Tano and Sabine Wren in 6″ form. Thrawn himself, while making his new cannon debut this season in the Rebels animated show, actually is a product of the early 90’s and a key character in bringing about the renaissance of Star Wars with his original debut in the Heir of the Empire novel from Timothy Zahn. Zahn and Rebels Executive Producer and Director Dave Filoni were on hand for the reveal of this figure at the Hasbro booth at Celebration.
Now just like all figures in The Black Series line, Thrawn in sculpted in a realistic manner and does not resemble the animated stylings of Rebels. This will effectively be the fourth time Hasbro has created a Thrawn action figure. The first was done in 1998 as part of the Expanded Universe which was a sub-line attached to The Power of the Force 2 line.
The second came 10 years later as part of the comic book 2-packs.
The most recent release occurred just last year in the Rogue One 3 3/4″ line and featured a variant as well.
While this upcoming figure is a great addition to the line in and of itself, it’s the packaging and accessories that make this release truly special. The box packaging which opens, reveals a number of relics Thrawn has collected in his journeys and it’s those accessories which provide some very cool Easter Eggs. There are seven unique accessories included, in addition to his blaster.
Each of the seven items included share a rich history:
- Ysalamir Sculpture – Like Thrawn himself, these creatures debuted in Heir of the Empire and were used by Thrawn to protect himself from Force powers. This species, which does not appear in Rebels as live creatures, is given tribute as a statue in Thrawn’s office in Season Three’s episode “Through Imperial Eyes”.
- Holy Grail – In what is the latest in a long line of Star Wars/Indiana Jones crossover connections, the chalice from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade appears in this set as well. The grail, like most of these accessories listed here, did indeed appear in the animated series.
- Jedi Lightsaber – While the most common of accessories, this particular saber lacks a backstory at present and appears to be a generic version of the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
- Haakskeekah Stone – Another unusual item from a different galaxy far, the Haakskeekah Stone, which was broken during the Trial By Stone ritual, is from Jim Henson’s 1982 classic, The Dark Crystal. No in-universe explanation of this artifact has emerged yet but we did confirm this origin with Hasbro designers at Celebration.
- Syndulla Clan’s Kalikori – This Twi’lek family heirloom belongs to Hera’s clan and has been the object of multiple subplots in Season Three.
- Clone Commander Gree’s Helmet – The helmet of Clone Commander CC-1004, who was decapitated by Jedi Master Yoda during the onset of Order 66, appears in Thrawn’s office but unlike Kylo Ren who has a specific connection to keeping a dead man’s helmet, the reason Thrawn has this Battle of Kaskyyyk souvenir is unknown.
- Kanan’s Jedi Temple Guard Mask – This was the mask, in which Kanan temporarily used after being blinded by Darth Maul and as he dispatched the Fifth Brother Inquisitor and attempted to save Ezra and Ahsoka from the wrath of Darth Vader on Malachor. Hasbro has hinted that this mask can be used on the 6″ Kanan action figure!
The thought and time that has gone into this exclusive is quite impressive. We are looking forward to adding this set to our collection next month and hope that Hasbro can continue to offer collectors such well-thought-out and detailed pieces in the future in both their regular and exclusive products. Thrawn will retail for $49.99 at Hasbro’s booth at SDCC 2017.
Let us know what you think of this figure and if you plan on adding this Chiss to your collection on our social pages.
Until next time,
May the Figures be with you!